The online mortgage broker

Home loans for temporary residents

Temporary residents can buy property in Australia if the Foreign Investment Review Board (FIRB) approves their application. They are also eligible for home loans, but only if they meet specific criteria.

You can buy a property in Australia even if you have temporary resident status – in most cases, the Foreign Investment Review Board (FIRB) will need to approve your application first. After you have obtained FIRB approval, you may also apply for a home loan. If you have the required documents, most lenders will let you take out a loan. Terms and conditions will vary based on a few key factors.

How much can temporary residents borrow?

Temporary residents have different types of visas. How much you can borrow will depend on the type of visa you currently hold.

  • Temporary residents with Australian spouses or partners may be eligible to get a loan that covers up to 95% of the value of the property;
  • To take out a home loan for 90% of the property value, temporary residents will need to meet certain conditions. Most lenders will need proof of a stable and sizeable income, among other things, before they can approve a loan of this size.
  • Holders of temporary visas that allow them to work in Australia for at least one year may be eligible for an 85% loan when buying a home.

Not all temporary residents will be able to take out a home loan from an Australian lender. Most lenders only approve loans to holders of specific types of temporary visas.

How do visas affect borrowing power?

If you want to apply for a 95% loan, you must have a spousal or partner visa. Your partner must be an Australian citizen, a permanent resident, or a New Zealand citizen. In this case, most lenders will treat you as they do Australian citizens. They will assess your home loan application like all other applications they receive and won’t ask you to pay any extra charges.

Lenders might also approve your home loan if you have some type of interdependency visa.

You may still be able to get a home loan even if you don’t hold one of these two types of visas. Other visas that are considered include:

  • Student Visas:

A special set of rules applies to foreign students on a temporary stay in Australia. In general, most lenders will let you take out a loan to cover up to 80% of the property value. But to meet their terms, you need to have a stable job and steady income.

If you’re not working at the time or your income isn’t high enough, your parents might be able to buy a home in your name. To learn more about this, get in touch with one of our home loan advisers. They’ll be able to provide the answers to all your related questions.

  • Other visa subclass types:

160-161 and 163-164 for business owners

162 and 165 for investors

173 and 884 for parents visiting their children

188, 956, and 977 for business purposes

300 for prospective spouses

302-303 for emergencies

401 and 403 for temporary work

405 for investor retirement

411, 475, and 489 for skilled individuals

416 and 444 for special programmes

417 for working holidays

419-421 and 423 for athletes, academics, and media industry employees

422 for medical workers

428 and 475 for religious workers

456 for business visitors

457 for long-term business stay

461 and 679 for family members

485, 572-576, and 580 for students and their guardians

All types of bridging visas

NB: Most lenders will only give you a home loan that covers up to 85% of the property value if you hold one of these visas. In some cases, you may also get a 95% loan. To learn more about your options, it’s best to talk to an expert.

What to do next

If you’re interested in taking a home loan as a temporary resident, it’s best to talk to an expert first. We recommend you:

  • Look for more information on our website
  • Use our borrowing calculator to see how much you can borrow
  • Reach out to one of uno’s home loan experts for help.

This information is general in nature, and you should always seek professional advice when making financial decisions.

Add a Comment

Alexi Neocleous

With over 20 years experience, Alexi has written extensively a wide cross section of financial topics. These topics range from financial planning, mortgages, property commentary and all points in between.


You might also be interested in

November RBA announcement

Celebrating Melbourne Cup? But wait, there’s more reason to celebrate: the RBA announces that the cash rate remains at 1.50% and the NSW Government overhauls residential stamp duty.

Why you should consider investing in Melbourne

With its renowned sporting and festival culture, trendy cafés and great value property, Melbourne might very well be an investor’s dream.

How CreditorWatch is helping business owners improve their cash flow

Running a small business is difficult enough without having to chase up payments or worry about contract terms. Colin Porter’s CreditorWatch helps business owners improve their cash flow without having to pick up the phone and chase idle contractors.


Get started

The new way to get a Better Deal!

Get started